Thursday, June 4, 2009

Vancouver to Vernon

This isn’t the Sea to Shining Sea trip. That is still to come. This is a 1,000km warm-up, to ride to Vernon via the Crows Nest highway, then back by another route yet to be decided. This will be a two week trip, still a serious challenge for an old geezer like me. Valerie will be riding SAG in the Yalie (our little motor home), but I will be riding fully equipped as if I were travelling self-contained. I want this to be just like the real thing

Day 1 May 31
Lougheed Highway, Vancouver to Harrison Bay – 95 km



Left home at 8am, Valerie waved me off and then she headed out to Richmond to get the Yalie, which we had been preparing for the trip the previous week.

Yesterday evening, I did a test-pack of my new panniers to see if everything I wanted to take would fit. They weighed in at about 40lbs, which was more than I expected – we carried them down to the bike room and fitted everything to the bike. Looked good, everything tidily packed away, but felt like a Harley!

So, off I go. I am packed for an open-ended trip, and although I will be meeting Valerie at each camp-site, I am equipped to go solo – camp gear, food, clothing. Pedaling off down Marinaside Crescent the bike felt a little wobbly at first, not used to the weight, but as soon as I got some speed up, it settled down and I soon forgot about it. I followed my familiar route down Adanac Street and then Hastings and Barnett Highway onto Highway 7 and was surprised to find that the additional weight didn’t have too much effect on my hill-climbing.

I rode for several miles with a guy named Mike who rode to Trail last year – similar circumstances, first trip with a full load. He said it is surprising how fast you get used to it, and

I’m beginning to sense that myself already.

Sign by the side of the road in Maple Ridge says “Ships are safe in a harbour, but that’s not why we build them”. My next T-shirt slogan, I think. Got that, Tensing?

It is a perfect day to start out, warm and sunny, not too much traffic.

We had planned to meet at the Kilby Provincial park, where Harrison River flows into the Fraser, but a few kilometers before Kilby I found a perfect camp ground on the Sqawkum Creek Reserve, with grassy sites right on the Harrison Bay shore, so I called Valerie and set a new rendezvous. She had been delayed getting out of Vancouver, so I was the first there. When she arrived, I had set up my one-man tent, and was trying out my new stove for the first time to cook some pasta. All systems working fine.
We relaxed in the camp chairs and both had a nap, and then got the boats off the motor home. Valerie tried her new Pungo kayak for the first time, so it was a real day of new experiences. Surprisingly, saw a seal swimming in the river, 100km from the sea, and Eagles and Osprey fishing. Saw two loons (my totem), and Valerie gave me a present of a calling loon toy that she had been saving for the right occasion.

A delicious pot roast in the motor home, then an early night. I’m planning 140 km tomorrow with a 1300 metre climb over Allison Pass.

I slept in the tent tonight.

Day 2 June 01
Allison Pass, Harrison Bay to Manning Park. 115 km Total 220km

My hardest day of riding ever!

Woke up to a shaking tent. A strong wind had picked up during the night, blowing straight from the east. Packed up and got on the road by eight o’clock. I had been expecting an easy ride as far as Hope, pleasant farm land with no hills to speak of, but this was anything but. The head-wind kept me in low gear the whole way, nearly 3 hours to cover 50km. I was ready for the trucker’s breakfast I found in Hope, and took a thick deli sandwich for the ride.

Just after Hope, I met up with two guys from Ohio, Ryan and Pete. They are starting a coast to coast trip – actually, they had started in Port Hardy a week ago. They were towing Bob trailers with big loads, including computers and serious camera equipment. We got talking and decided to ride together for a bit.

After a while, Valerie went by in the Yalie (laden with boats and bikes) with a cheery toot on her way to find a camp site at Manning Park.

I have driven to the Hope Slide area many times; not a problem, Just the first landmark after you leave Hope. Different story on a loaded bike. It’s a 2,000 foot relentless climb over 18 km.

I rode for a while with Pete, who is a fitness trainer, and we had a good chat about our respective trip plans. Before too long, my heart rate had climbed to the high 160s, so it was prudent to take a break. Pete carried on ahead, while Ryan had dropped out of sight behind us. I caught up with Pete at the slide, and we sat and chatted for about half an hour until it became apparent that something was amiss with Ryan. Pete decided to turn back, while I pressed on uphill.

An hour later, I had stopped to talk to a young man on a beautiful vintage Honda Gold Wing, who needed a bicycle pump to adjust his air suspension (!) Mine had the wrong fitting, but he gave me a big jug of Gatorade that was most welcome, as the temperature was well into the 30s.

Just then, Pete came chugging up the hill. He had found Ryan, who had simultaneously broken a spoke and a chain, and was out of action. I offered to run back and pick him up in the motor home when we arrived at Manning Park, so we pressed on.

Now the climbing got serious. Allison Pass summit is over 4,400 feet, while Hope is close to sea level. I quickly started to learn some new things about pacing myself – my legs were getting tired and although I was working as hard as I could, my pulse rate stayed well below maximum at about 140. I found that the best strategy was to ride in short sections (sometimes as little as 200m), and then stop to get my breath back. Eventually the signs at the summit came into view, and I drank the last of my water and took some photos. I was pretty pleased with my accomplishment, to say the least – 108 km, half with a major headwind, and the rest a grinding climb.

Just after the summit, I met Valerie coming back in the Yalie. She had met Pete in the camp ground, and he told her about Ryan’s misfortune, so she was heading back 50 km to rescue him. She gave me the welcome news that I had only 2 km to go.

Arriving at the camp, I found Pete relaxing with a cold beer that Valerie had given him. We were both in jubilant mood, enjoying our accomplishment.

A few minutes later, another cyclist arrived – Brian from Outlook, Saskatchewan. Another middle-ager, he is intending to get to St. John’s in just 40 days, averaging 150km per day. He’s in great shape, and I’m sure he will do it.

Valerie arrived back with a grateful Ryan, and we all started to set up our respective camps. Val was concerned that our new friends did not have enough food – they had not realized how remote Manning park would be and had expected to be able to pick up supplies – so she gave them a pot-roast and vegetables. After dinner, we all sat and chatted, and it seemed like we had known each other for years.

Day 3 June 02
Sunday Summit, Manning Park to Princeton. 70km Total 290km

We awoke at 8am to find that Pete and Ryan had completed their bike repairs, and quietly departed. We were disappointed not to have said our good-byes. Brian was the next to leave, but I was happy to stick around for a leisurely breakfast before embarking on the day’s challenge.

After a gradual descent for about 15km, the serious part is a 1,000 foot 8.5% climb. Again, my tortured legs dictated frequent rest stops, but then I could enjoy the reward of a 25 km roller coaster ride past the Similkameen mine into Princeton.

I found Valerie and the Yalie outside the Overwaitee store. She had seen the sights of the city, and was getting ready to replenish our food, beer and wine (not necessarily in order of importance). We decided that after two tough climbing days we would stop in Princeton instead of pressing on to Keremeos as originally planned. Our accommodation guide mentioned a pleasant camp ground on the river, so I unloaded my panniers into the Yalie and pedaled off to check it out.

First thing I saw in the camp-ground was two familiar red tents, and Pete and Ryan yelling to attract my attention. I was very pleased; we had been hoping that we would see them again.

After doing my laundry, which was fast becoming a priority, we got together again for drinks and conversation.
Day 4 June 03
Princeton to Penticton 104 km Total 394 km


This morning, Ryan unfortunately awoke with a very sore knee – ilio-tibial band, which is a common source of problems for cyclists. It was obvious he wouldn’t be riding today, so we agreed that he would stay and use the camp site’s wi-fi to write an exam (he is completing a Masters in clinical counseling), and that Pete and I would press on to Penticton.

After a pleasant 30 km ride along the Similkameen, a welcome break after the tortures of the previous two days, we stopped for a second breakfast at the Hitching Post Diner in Hedley, an old mining town that is being renovated as a tourist attraction. Then on to Keremeos, and a scenic but moderately tough ride over highway 3A into the Okanagan valley, with a welcome break to cool our feet at Yellow Lake near the summit.

I’m amazed how good I feel today – just as if the trials of the last two days had never happened.

I could hardly believe my eyes when I got my first glimpse of Skaha lake. I had actually got from Vancouver to the Okanagan Valley under my own power!

We met up with Valerie and Ryan at a nice lakefront camp site in Penticton. They had enjoyed a day rolling along in the Yalie with blues music and heart to heart conversation while Ryan iced his knee.

After a refreshing plunge in Skaha Lake, we got the boats down and spent a pleasant time paddling.

Valerie invited the guys over for dinner – we are beginning to call the Yalie “Valerie’s Mission for Travelling Cyclists” – followed by a satisfying re-hydration session.

Pete really knows how to put away the groceries! Riding whets your appetite.


Day 5 June 04 Total 394 km
Penticton 0km Day off

Valerie and I decided to stay by the lake and veg. She is sorting photos from previous trips, and I’m catching up on this journal – amazing how quickly you can get behind.
Beautiful Okanagan day, great to sit in the shade with a cold one.

The guys said good-bye this morning and head edfor Kelowna to meet a cyclist they had met in Victoria. We will miss them, we had become good friends in a short time, and I’m sure we will see them again.

Valerie is now a fully qualified RV operator, and has mastered the delicate arts of checking batteries, filling water tanks and dumping the dreaded gray and black water.

Tomorrow we will make an early start to get to Vernon. I will ride via Westside road, and Valerie will break camp and drive straight to Farrah's house.

We are really looking forward to seeing Farrah, Nolan, Jeffrey and Taylor - its going to be a great, fun weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Barn, that is quite the adventure...I am most impressed. Next time you can drive the Yalie and Val can bike, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow. Amazing first go. It turns out we will be in Vernon this weekend for a wedding. We will try to give you guys a shout.

    I have to admit, I think I am going to enjoy the 110KM/hr I will be doing in an Air Conditioned X-Trail tomorrow up the Coq.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on conquering Allison Pass and Sunday Summits, Captain! Now that you've got those easy, little hills out of the way, how about taking on a *REAL* challenge? ;-)

    bryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're rootin' for you Barney. Looking forward to your updated blogs. We are so proud of you that I have taken to boasting 'this is my cousin' to anyone who will listen!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are pulling for you Barney, esp on those hills! I never imagined that it could be such an enhancement to any trip to be able to slow down enough to meet fellow travellers. This must have been what it was like before motor cars! How fortunate you all were to have met eachother. Next time I'm spinning at the gym, I'll just think of your inescapable hills and headwinds.

    ReplyDelete