Friday, June 12, 2009

Vernon to Kamloops

Day 9, 6th on the road June 08
Vernon to Kamloops 119 Km Total 655 km


The ride from Vernon to Kamloops was a complete change of pace from the arduous days of the previous week. We have often driven this route and enjoyed the rolling countryside. A couple of days to let the old muscles recover did not hurt.

After a couple of hours, I pulled in to the little mining town of Falkland, and ordered my customary second breakfast – bacon and eggs with all the trimmings. I don’t need to worry about gaining weight on this trip, Einstein would appreciate the transformation of mass into energy. I enjoyed eavesdropping on the conversation at the next table, a group of farmers discussing the intricacies of fixing vintage truck engines. The Okanagan and its surrounding areas are full of old restored vehicles, I think the dry climate must help to preserve them.

I took a short break at picturesque Monte Lake, then continued down the steep hill into the South Thompson River valley, and turned on to the Trans Canada Highway that follows the river and the Canadian Pacific main line into Kamloops.

Found some useful road-kill on the highway shoulder, a brand new Leatherman tool (a kind of high-end Swiss Army knife). I had been thinking of buying one.

I caught up with Valerie at a nice camp ground on the river’s edge, and as usual she refueled me with a great dinner.

Contrary to rumour, Barney does dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment