Saturday, June 13, 2009

Vancouver to Whistler - the hard way!

Day 12, 9th on the road. June 11th 2009
Rogers Creek to Whistler, 96 km. Total 955 km

I always thought that it would be an interesting challenge to ride my bike to Whistler one day... but I hadn't expected to do it the long way round like this!

Bit of a late start today, as I was up the night before trying to catch up on my blog. No WiFi at Rogers Creek, so I have been making notes on the computer and uploading them each time we find a connection, which can mean a delay of several days. Here I am at midnight, sitting in the office and rehydrating.

Another beatiful day. Amazingly, after yesterday's exertions, my legs are still working. The grades are thankfully moderating now, although still following Cayoosh Creek uphill towayrds its source. And soon, beautiful Duffy Lake comes into view, ringed by snow-capped peaks.

Even after leaving the lake behind, the road continues to climb gradually for several miles, but with the scenery to distract me this is no great hardship. The altimeter climbs to 4,200 feet, almost as high as Allison Pass. Suddenly I round a bend and see the sight I have been waiting for:
Now the labours of yesterday are completely forgotten as I pick up speed to 50-60 km/hr, concentrating on avoiding the cracks and pot-holes left by last winter's ice and snow. I see the yellow signs flashing by warning of ever increasing grades, up to 15%, and notice several emergency truck run-offs. As cars pass me downhill, I often notice a strong smell of overheated brake pads, so many drivers are oblivious to the danger of relying on brakes on such a long and steep descent.
I pause briefly to admire Joffrey Glacier and continue my headlong plunge until the road levels out along the shore of Lillooet Lake, and soon I am riding through the lush farmlands of Mount Currie and the Pemberton Valley.

I sit and relax at a picnic table at the centre of Pemberton, enjoying a a lunch of jerky, landjaeger sausage, fig newtons and Gatorade, waiting for Valerie to arrive in the Yalie. She has been using the morning to catch up on her project of organizing our photo albums from previous trips.

We agree that we will press on to Whistler where we know there is a luxurious but expensive camp ground where we can get a hot shower and WiFi.

Although I have ridden the road from Pemberton to Whistler before, it seems to have become much steeper recently, or maybe it's just the load I am carrying. Just outside Whistler, I run into the first rain I have seen on the trip. One minute sunny, the next it's coming down like stair-rods. Running down my face so fast, that the water starts pooling behind my sun-glasses. Soaked right through before I can think of putting on my rain-gear, but only a couple of kilometers to go. And suddenly, the sun is shining and the road is dry, just as if it never happened.

By the time I arrive at the campground, Valerie has taken care of the tanks, set up the hookups, pulled out the awning and has dinner on the go and a cold beer on the table. She is the SAG driver extraordinaire!

No comments:

Post a Comment